Since it’s Women’s History Month, this month’s Flyy Fridays will feature black models who have made their mark in fashion history. First up is Naomi Sims.
Born in March 1948, Sims is credited with being with the first black supermodel. She accomplished a lot in her life. She:
- Appeared in “Vogue” and on billboards for Virgina Slims cigarettes.
- Was the first black woman to appear on the cover of “Ladies Home Journal” and the first black woman to appear on the cover of “Fashion of the Times,” a supplement to the “New York Times.”
- Also appeared on the covers of both “Life” and “Cosmpolitan” magazines.
- Appeared on a national TV campaign for AT&T.
- Designed a successful wig collection and makeup line for black women.
She passed away from breast cancer in August 2009. For more info on her, check out this post I wrote on her last year.
Photos from: thestylepage.blogspot.com, more.com